hot bliggity blog

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tonsillectomy

Today is day 2 of my tonsillectomy. I went into the surgery with a positive attitude yesterday. I had expected much more pain though! This is the first surgery which Alex has been there and witnessed. He did very well.

As I got dressed and ready in my bed, the nurse gave me some loopy medicine she called it and I sat a relaxed. The Doc came in and explained a bit more before the surgery and then afterwards. At one point I was drowsy, the next thing I know, I wake up to blurred vision and the nurse came over to lift my back up. She gave me some Sprite. After that, I was ready. Alex and mom came in to have a look at me. I felt fine. Definitly tired, but I even had an appetite. The nurses were very impressed. Mom took me home while Alex ran to Walmart to get my prescription. He had to wait in line for 30 minutes before he came home. Mom and I stopped at Dairy Queen for a good ol chocolate shake. It felt so nice going down my throat.

When Alex arrived home, he and mom ate lunch in the other room so that I would not be hungry. I didn't care. I still felt nice from the anesthesia. ;) We relaxed and hung out for a bit. I took a nap and when I woke up Alex and I spent some quality time together. He showed me his presentation for work and then we took his projector and watched a few movies on the wall! We had a big screen tv!

Going to bed was easy, I started reading "Gone With the Wind" and went to bed around 10. I woke up in the middle of the night in pain and suprisingly Alex jumped up out of bed to get me my medicine. This will go down in history! Waking up, I again needed some medicine. That stuff is good, but it does ware off 4 hours later on the dot. All in all, Alex has been doing a great job as my nurse and caretaker. He keeps asking me if I feel alright.

Today we are just lounging. He's been playing video games and I've been reading/napping on and off. Today, my throat is a bit more painful. There are scabs beginning to form in white patches. We laugh and say that I sound like a deaf person who is hearing themselves for the first time. Honestly, it is much harder to talk today. My tongue is even swollen in the back. Drinks up to healing! Right now my diet includes: pudding, applesauce, gravy, Sprite, water, ice, shakes, yogurt. I've already lost 4 lbs.!

More to come....from the Diary of a Hungry Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment